Something For Everyone - Barrel to Bottle Explores the Central Coast
This week, Alicia has nine wines that showcase the variety and incredible value of California's Central Coast.
While some regions are becoming less and less accessible from a pricing standpoint, Central Coast offers tremendous value with something for everyone.
- Cru Wine Company Unoaked Chardonnay Arroyo Seco 2021 – The grapes here are sourced from various growers in the area, which is why it’s so affordable. It’s a very fresh, unoaked wine.
- Tatomer Riesling Steinhugel 2021 –The higher altitude produces a crisp, precise, high-acid Riesling. This is a bone-dry Riesling.
San Luis Obispo County
- Mount Eden Vineyards Chardonnay Wolff Vineyard 2020 –This is single expression from the oldest vineyard in the AVA at an incredible price. This wine goes through both barrel and malolactic fermentation.
- Tablas Creek Patelin de Tablas Blanc 2021 –There are five white Rhone varieties from five different vineyards in this wine and you can really taste the influence of every one of them.
- Cherry House Red Blend by Villa Creek 2020 – Fruit is the star of the show but underneath there’s something like desiccated flowers or dried herbs.
- Vina Robles Cabernet Sauvignon Mountain Road Reserve 2019 – While the main theme of today is the value you can find in Central Coast, there are also some very serious wines here. This is a great alternative to Napa Cab but at a more accessible price.
Santa Barbara County
- Margerum Sybarite Sauvignon Blanc 2022 – We’re leaving the northwest/southeast mountain range and into an area with an east/west range, that funnels all the cool air in. It’s quiet on the nose but it explodes on the palate. It’s a restrained wine but still has acidic zip.
- Sandhi Pinot Noir 2021 – This wine is so earthy but equally very fruity and savory. They’re going for an old-world expression here, which is typical for Santa Barbara.
- Beckmen Syrah Purisima Mountain Vineyard – There really is something for everyone in the Central Coast, including a single-varietal Syrah. It’s meaty and spicy.
If you have a question for the Barrel to Bottle Crew, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or reach out to us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. If we answer your question during a podcast, you’ll get a $20 Binny’s Gift Card!
If you like our podcast, subscribe wherever you download podcasts. Rate and review us on Apple Podcasts.