Demo Kitchen Recipe: Traditional Tacos
For many, tacos are THE definition of Mexican food. Our recipe focuses on the classic preparation. But whatever you prepare as a filling, we STRONGLY suggest skipping the microwave and warming the corn tortillas in the oven - see step #3 below. The tortillas gain not only an attractive color but also a delicious smoky/toasty note.
- 3 White Onions, diced and divided in half
- Vegetable Oil, as needed
- 5lbs Taco Meat or Ground Beef
- 1/2 cup Taco Seasoning (see below)
- 1 cup Water
- 6-inch Corn Tortillas (~ 40)
- 2 Bunches Cilantro, chopped
- In a large shallow pan over medium-high heat, sauté half of the onions in a small amount of oil just until they start to turn translucent.
- Add the beef and taco seasoning to the pan continue to cook until the meat starts to brown. Add the water, cover, and let simmer until meat is fully cooked.
- Wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil in groups of 10. Place the tortillas in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until they are soft.
- Spoon a small amount of the seasoned beef into each tortilla and top with diced onion and cilantro. Serve with your favorite salsa or lime wedges.
Taco Seasoning (Makes ~1 cup)
- 5 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2-1/2 Tbsp Cumin
- 2 Tbsp Kosher Salt
- 2 Tbsp Black Pepper
- 2-1/2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1-1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Chili Flakes
- Whisk all spices together.
Check out more of our favorite gourmet recipes, straight from our resident chef's demo kitchen.