5 Types of Wine to Enjoy Throughout the Holidays!
1. Toast the holiday season with bubbles!Nothing says celebration like sparkling wine, so have some bottles on hand to toast the holiday! Besides, bubbles go with every dish that you might serve. Tart and effervescent, a bubbly will cut through fatty, salty, savory, or sweet flavors, all which youll find on any holiday table.
2. Seek out crowd pleasers to serve with the holiday meal.Smooth fruit-driven reds or punchy/savory whites with citrus/orchard fruit flavors flavors are crowd pleasers and sure bets to serve your guests - and like sparkling wine will go with every holiday dish that you might serve.
3. Fall back on the classics.For some, a festive holiday mood calls for fine wine. Those hoping to treat themselves should turn to the classics - Burgundy (both white and red), Mosel or Rheingau riesling, or a mature red from Bordeaux, Barolo or Barbaresco. Especially mature Rioja, which dollar for dollar is among the best deals in the wine world!
4. Finish your meal with a sip of port or madeira.Plums, raisins, nutty hints, baking spice suggestions, and fine chocolate - their generosity of Christmas flavors make port and Madeira a natural choice to savor after the holiday meal. A bottle or two should be more than enough for you and your loved ones to enjoy.
5. Bold wines (as well as Champagne!) make great gifts.Pinot Noir, Australian Shiraz, California Cabernet or Chardonnay, or Grenache based wines like Chateauneuf-du-Pape enjoy broad appeal, and will pair with any hearty meal served throughout the winter months. And a bottle of Champagne is a no brainer. Check out the Wine Hotline for updates on new wines, tastings, sales and more!