Demo Kitchen Recipe: Shrimp & Scallop Ceviche
Bright, citrusy ceviche is the ultimate refreshing starter for a dinner party whether served in a bowl or as a tostada. It also makes a fantastic addition to any Cinco de Mayo buffet when served with crunchy tortilla chips.
The Demo Kitchen loves this grapefruit centric version that combines the sweetness of fresh seafood with the creaminess of avocado and the earthy crunch of jicama.
While the shrimp are cooked in this version, we are relying entirely on the acidity of citrus to “cook” the scallops. Make sure they have “cooked” sufficiently (rare in the center is fine if you like) before serving but don’t over-marinate or they could become tough.
Pair with crisp whites like Monte Xanic Sauvignon Blanc from the Valle de Guadalupe in Mexico or a savory Austrian Grüner Veltliner. 5 Rabbit 5 Lizard or Cruz Blanca Palm Shade are excellent choices for beer lovers. For cocktail drinkers – a Margarita or Paloma would be perfect.
Serves 6 as an appetizer. 12+ as part of a buffet.
- 3/4 pound lightly poached medium shrimp
- 3/4 pound bay scallops, raw
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup fruity extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp. chopped mint
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 small grapefruits, peel and pith cut away, segmented
- 2 oranges, peel and pith cut away, segmented
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/2 cup diced jicama
- Mix shrimp and scallops in a non-reactive container with the lime & grapefruit juice and marinate in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Mix in the oil, onion, garlic, ginger, jalapeños, cilantro, mint, and salt; marinate for another hour.
- Gently toss in the grapefruit, orange, avocado, and jicama. Season to taste with salt. If it seems too tart for your taste, feel free to add a little sugar for balance. Serve immediately.
Demo Kitchen Recipe: Traditional Tacos
For many, tacos are THE definition of Mexican food. Our recipe focuses on the classic preparation. But whatever you prepare as a filling, we STRONGLY suggest skipping the microwave and warming the corn tortillas in the oven.Learn more
Demo Kitchen Recipe: Grilled Shrimp with Caramelized Pineapple Salsa
There's nothing like a hearty shrimp appetizer to really start your dinner party off right. Chef Scott's grilled shrimp with caramelized pineapple salsa will leave your guests with the most fulfilling sweet and savory experience they've ever had.Learn more