As Drank on TV - Barrel to Bottle Makes Fictional Cocktails
Chances are, if you make a pop culture reference on Barrel to Bottle, Jim will laugh at it, off mic. Tapping into his vast knowledge of useless information, Jim has crafted seven fictional cocktails from TV (and one book). From small town Indiana to medium city Pennsylvania to a bar where everybody knows your name to the deepest reaches of space, these cocktails are definitely liquid and they won't make you sick.
In the interest of drinkability, some of these recipes have been altered slightly from their original podcast version, with guidance and input from our resident mixologists.
Before the cocktails though, a little house cleaning; the Barrel to Bottle Crew made good on their promise to try Pakistani Mangoes.
Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
- 1 oz Plantation OFTD
- 1 oz Genever, chilled in fridge for several hours or overnight
- ¼ oz Dolin Genepy
- ½ oz Lemon Juice
- Homemade sugar cube (mix one cup cane sugar with 1 teaspoon water. Place in desired shape mold. Let sit over night)
- St. George Absinthe Verte
- Hot Sauce
- Top with Sparkling Mineral Water
- Add rum, Genever, Genepy and lemon juice to an ice filled shaker, shake until well-chilled. Pour into Highball glass over ice.
- Place homemade sugar cube in a glass bowl, cover it in your favorite hot sauce and a splash of absinthe. VERY CAREFULLY ignite with a long stick match or long grill lighter. When sugar begins to bubble and brown, extinguish flame.
- Using a pair of tongs, drop sugar cube into Highball glass.
- Top with sparkling mineral water.
Screaming Viking (Cheers)
- 2 oz El Dorado 3 Year Rum
- ½ oz Dolin Blanco Vermouth
- 1 oz Lime juice
- 1 oz simple syrup
- Cucumber slices
- Cucumber Wedge
- Fever Tree Tonic Water
- Place cucumber slices in an empty shaker with simple syrup. Muddle (bruised) or stir (unbruised)
- Add rum, Vermouth, Genepy and lemon juice to the shaker along with ice, shake until well-chilled. Double strain into Highball glass over ice.
- Top with tonic water, garnish with cucumber wedge
The Flaming Homer/Moe (The Simpsons)
- 1 oz blanco tequila
- 1 oz dark rum
- ½ oz Mathilde Framboise Liqueur
- ½ oz lemon juice
- ¼ oz Dolin Genepy
- Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
- Homemade sugar cube (see earlier recipe)
- Homemade cough syrup
- For cough syrup, make a simple syrup with equal parts grape juice and cane sugar. Boil and reduce to desired consistency. Let cool and mix with equal parts Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur.
- Add tequila, rum, Mathilde, lemon juice and genepy to an ice filled shaker, shake until well-chilled. Pour in a Highball glass over crushed ice.
- Top with homemade cough syrup.
- Pour a small amount of OFTD on sugar cube, VERY CAREFULLY ignite using a long match or grill lighter. Grab with tongs and drop into cocktail.
One Of Everything (The Office)
- ½ oz BenRiach 10 Year Old
- ½ oz St. George Absinthe Verte
- ½ oz Plantation Stiggins Fancy Pineapple Rum
- ½ oz flavored gin of your choice
- ½ oz Dolin Blanco Vermouth
- ½ oz Gran Gala Orange Liqueur
- ½ oz Simple Syrup (made with Monk Fruit Sweetener or Cane Sugar)
- Add ingredients to a plastic cup, coffee mug or other drinking vessel, stir with pen, paper clip or whatever else you have in the office.
- Don't accidentally set your hair on fire
The Old Spanish (30 Rock)
- Pour half bottle of rosé into carafe.
- Add several olives
- Stir gently
- Pour into wine glass, top with tonic water
Skittlebräu (The Simpsons)
- 1 bottle German Pilsner
- With your fingers, squeeze several skittles and drop them into a beer glass.
- Top with beer
- Pair with Nuts & Gum (Together at Last)
Snakejuice (Parks and Recreation)
- Plantation OFTD Rum
- Cold Brew Coffee
- Chocolate Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
- Mix roughly equal parts (depending on how strong you want it) rum and cold brew coffee.
- Add chocolate syrup and vanilla extract to taste.
- Place in freezer overnight.
- Drink, enjoy, dance like no one's watching in a tiny pillbox hat.
Barrel to Bottle: Wine & Music
It might seem like it’s too abstract to pair wine with music, but the more we thought about how you experience those things, the more it made sense to tackle this topic on Barrel to Bottle.Learn more
Barrel to Bottle: The (Barrel to Bottle) Muppets Make Manhattans
We love a good tasting experiment on Barrel to Bottle, so this week we're making Manhattans. A lot of Manhattans. So many Manhattans that we can't keep track of how many we're making. We tried 21 different bitters to see which one makes the best Manhattan.Learn more
Barrel to Bottle: Would You Rather?
Just how much more do you want to learn about the Barrel to Bottle Crew? If the answer is "lots" then this episode is for you. This is a Greg Episode, so he has compiled the list of questions both shallow and deep, alcohol-related and not.Learn more